Stress relief tips are a dime a dozen. So how do you know which tips really work or will work for you? Here are five stress relief tips that you can use today.
1. Recognize the signs of stress. The best stress relief tips won’t help you at all if you deny that you are indeed stressed. Everyone feels stress a bit differently: Some feel their jaws clench. Some feel various muscles tense up. Some immediately head to the cookie jar. Think about what you do and how you feel when you know you are stressed. Ask your spouse or a friend how they can tell you are stressed. Also ask them what they do to handle their own stress. Their tips can help you cope too.
2. Get away. We’ve all heard of the fight or flight response. Instead of fighting what is stressing you, opt for flight instead. If you feel like you are about to lose it, excuse yourself from the scene and take a brisk walk instead, preferably outside. A quick walk will get oxygen to your brain and clear your mind. Keep walking until you feel calmer and more rational. You may have even discovered a solution to whatever is eating you.
If the stress is really severe, consider taking a longer time away. Do you have any vacation time available or some sick time? This may be the time to take advantage of it.
3. Keep away: Today’s world is challenging. Not only do you have to deal with your own personal challenges, but we’re all being constantly bombarded with bleak news headlines. One of the best stress relief tips I know of is to unplug yourself from the media. Check the news headlines no more than once daily. You don’t really need to know about the latest celebrity gossip or about the latest business or government rumor.
Also, give yourself one day off each week: Keep the computer off limits, turn off the T.V. and send all phone messages to voice mail. Go play with the kids or your spouse. If you are spiritual or religious, use this day to pray and/or meditate.
4. Be positive. A lot of the stress in the world today comes from the media we use. While it is difficult to detach from it, it is possible to use the media for positive reinforcement instead. Download uplifting, positive images and music. If you find yourself under a lot of stress, take a time out and listen to just one positive song. It will only take three minutes or so but it could make all the difference.
5. Use humor. The old saying is true: Laughter is the best medicine. Compile a file of cartoons and funny stories and images that you can use to laugh at the world and its problems. Keep it handy on your computer or at your desk so you can quickly refer to it when life gets tough.
These stress relief tips can be used anytime, anywhere by anyone. You don’t have to resort to drugs, alcohol or violence. Today, conquer your stress before it conquers you.
Panic Attacks — End Them Forever
Do you have the common symptoms of panic attacks? If you feel unable to cope, there’s an answer.
Panic Away has helped thousands of people to free themselves from the overwhelming feelings of panic attacks, so that they can live a normal life.
Become anxiety and fear-free, with Panic Away.
Enrich your life with yoga today
Read Yoga for the New You and discover everything you need to create a yoga practice right in your own home. Transform your life with yoga.